menu

Uptime’s Orlando Dolojan Dives Deep into Downtime and Human Error at Portland Data Center Summit

Aug 2, 2018
by Josh Anderson

PORTLAND, OROrlando Dolojan joined Uptime Institute in 2014 as Director of Client Engagement, where his multi-disciplined technical and engineering background is an strong asset. Dolojan has extensive background in power production design, construction, commissioning and operations from both the enterprise side with Bechtel Power Corporation as well as an extensive consulting background. At CapRE’s Second Annual Greater Portland Data Center Summit Dolojan delivered a Keynote Address titled “2018 Data Center New Challenges and/or Opportunities” based on finding Uptime’s latest market intelligence report. Below, we showcase some of the highlights of his remarks.

Causes of Downtime

“Let’s dive into the causes of downtime a little bit,” began Dolojan. “Has anyone here experienced downtime with their provider? Well in our data from 1500 respondents worldwide, the bottom line is that 77% of downtime could have been prevented.”

Orlando Dolojan, Director, Client Engagement

Dolojan then explained how, if an issue can be be prevented, it’s human error. “So if 77% of downtime is due to human error, then what about the other 23%?” Dolojan asked the room. “Some of those are catastrophic failure of equipment. But think about it. if equipment has been maintained and you’re wanting the results of a boil test or a vibration reading, and if you have some sort of historical data and failure, then you can have a failure of analysis to predict it. So again, arguably, the causes of downtime are largely human error.”

From the Bottom to the Top….Or Is it?

According to Dolojan, this is something that needs to be focused on, not only in training, but by the management team, from the top all the way down. “One of the things that we find is that there are operators, working on their own, just fixing things as they go,” he shared. “They do not report it back up, and therefore, this tribal knowledge is never passed on. So it’s important to have that communication from the top all the way down and from the down to the guys with the switches. Make them have the voice to change things. This can be very difficult for most organizations because it’s top-down.”

“Again, arguably, all downtime is human error in the end,” stressed Dolojan. “Even though the guy that touched the switch or did not make the transfer verbally is always blamed.”

data center summitMulti-Site, Multi-Service

“So, let’s talk about multi-site, multi-service disasters,” Dolojan suggested. “Interestingly, we as an industry, expect it. and we have to think of ways to not only mitigate it but to eliminate it and to plan for it. but 65% of our respondents have never experienced it. keep this thought for a second. You may have never experienced, but does that mean you shouldn’t plan for it?”

In fact, you may want to focus on this because if nothing else, climate change has arrived. “our survey results say that less than a third of respondents are evaluating climate changes in both their deployment as well as their new search, design and location,” he shared.

“It’s not only becoming an issue. There are low numbers here, but they’re going to become more impactful, because 500-year weather events are no longer occurring every 500 years. It’s occurring much more often and they can repeat themselves in a matter of years, rather than decades,” concluded Dolojan.

 

Orlando Dolojan, Uptime Institute presenting “2018 Data Center New Challenges and/or Opportunities”, the Keynote for CapRE’s Second Annual Greater Portland Data Center Summit

For more insight from the Uptime Institute, check out previous CapRE Insider Reports:

Sign Up For Updates:

Categories