CAPRE’s West Coast Wednesday: From Silicon Valley to the World, September 4, 2019
Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in CAPRE’s West Coast Wednesday for September 4, 2019:
- Opus Interactive Announces 400kW, 100+ Cabinet Expansion at Hillsboro Data Center: Opus Interactive is broadcasting the expansion of its footprint within STACK INFRASTRUCTURE’s Portland-area data center in Hillsboro, Oregon. The 400kW and 100+ cabinet addition marks Opus Interactive’s second expansion in the last two years within the LEED Platinum Hillsboro facility to satisfy growing customer demand. Opus is experiencing 30 percent year-over-year growth, largely driven by growing customer demand for distributed data processing, retail enterprise colocation, and hybrid cloud solutions in the Pacific Northwest. STACK Portland’s data center campus offers 24 MW of critical capacity and 345,000 square feet of space to keep pace with evolving customer demands and growth trajectories. Additionally, the data center offers high density deployment support in excess of 25kW per cabinet, dual-factor biometric access, LEED Platinum Certification, and direct connectivity to subsea cables, hyperscale providers, and major carrier hotels.
- STACK INFRASTRUCTURE Continues Growth with Plans for Expansion in Portland: STACK INFRASTRUCTURE has announced plans for expansion in Portland, a leading U.S. data center market where the Company has deep roots and a history of market leadership. This planned expansion follows STACK’s recent announcement of its plans to build a new facility at its Chicago data center campus and continues the Company’s corporate strategy to bring additional capacity to support the growth of its clients. STACK intends to break ground on a significant, long-term expansion in Hillsboro. The near-term campus additions will provide more than 60MW of additional critical capacity and, when combined with STACK’s established Hillsboro facilities, bring the Company’s total capacity in this growing market to nearly 100MW. STACK has strong and durable ties to Hillsboro’s data center market, where it developed its first data center in 2012.
- Western Digital to Deliver 18TB CMR and 20TB SMR HDDs in the First Half of 2020: Western Digital announced its nine-disk mechanical platform, which includes energy-assisted recording technology and maintains the company’s areal density leadership while delivering the highest capacity available. The company will sample the 18TB Ultrastar DC HC550 CMR HDD and the 20TB Ultrastar DC HC650 SMR HDD to select customers by the end of 2019 with production ramp expected in the first half of 2020. This rapid ramp and availability of the 20TB SMR drive following a technology preview in June 2019, supports a growing ecosystem and the continued industry adoption of SMR. Western Digital estimates that 50 percent of its HDD exabytes shipped will be on SMR by 2023.
- Rambus to Acquire Silicon IP and Secure Protocols Business From Verimatrix: Rambus, a premier silicon IP and chip provider making data faster and safer, has entered into an exclusivity agreement to acquire the Silicon IP, Secure Protocols and Provisioning business from Verimatrix, formerly Inside Secure, a global provider of security and analytics solutions that protect devices, services and applications. The parties intend to enter into an asset purchase agreement with respect to the proposed transaction upon completion of certain pre-conditions. With this acquisition, the world-class embedded security teams from Verimatrix and Rambus will bring together their 25-year histories of developing leading-edge security IP. Hardware-based security has become mission critical for protecting the SoCs and devices in demanding applications such as AI, Networking, IoT and Automotive. The integrated portfolio of products, which will combine the secure silicon IP and provisioning solutions from both companies, will create the most comprehensive silicon-proven security IP offering in the industry.
- NEXTDC Earns Acclaim from Frost & Sullivan for its Technology and Customer Focus in the Data Centre Market: Frost & Sullivan has recognized NEXTDC Ltd with the 2019 Global Visionary Innovation Leadership Award. NEXTDC’s 100 percent uptime guarantee and unparalleled power usage effectiveness (PUE) levels have helped it set a new customer service benchmark in the Australian data center industry. Leveraging its vast technology expertise and innovation excellence in design, engineering, and project management, NEXTDC has developed a innovative ‘continuous development’ methodology aimed at addressing evolving market needs. This concept is based on adopting a modular design, which delivers greater flexibility and significantly increases the speed of deployment. NEXTDC has dedicated itself to driving unparalleled levels of operational excellence. It is the only data center infrastructure solution provider in Australia that has been successful in achieving a NABERS 5-star rating for energy efficiency, with two of their data centers receiving the pinnacle of NABERS certifications. It is the only data center operator in the country to achieve Uptime Institute Tier IV certification for Design Documents and Constructed Facility and is currently the only provider in the Southern Hemishphere to achieve Tier IV Gold certification for Operational Sustainability for its second generation data centers.
E-mail me your stories, industry news tips, and press releases.