CapRE’s Data Center Industry Round Up for October 11
Oct 11, 2018
by Justin Hughes
by Justin Hughes
Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center space for October 11, 2018:
- IX Reach Expands Asia Pacific Reach with New Links: IX Reach broadened its Asia Pacific connectivity by enhancing its Hong Kong network infrastructure, allowing the carrier to provide its own in-region IP BGP (border gateway protocol) Transit services. The new deployment will allow IX Reach to offer its own IP BGP Transit to customers wishing to link deeper into Asia from data centers and peering exchanges in Hong Kong and Singapore. Simon Vye, CEO of IX Reach, said: “Connecting to a single port in our Hong Kong and Singapore facilities now enables our customers full access to all of our SDN, IX peering and transport connectivity services from all our 170-plus network PoPs worldwide.”
- India’s Heavily Equipped Bhamashah State Data Center Opens in Jaipur: Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje unveiled India’s most advanced data center named ‘Bhamashah State Data Centre’ in Jaipur. The center’s foundation stone was placed on the occasion of IT Day on March 21, 2018, and it was completed in a span of six months. Its goal is to ensure top-of-the-class services and world-class IT infrastructure availability for Rajasthan. While also being India’s biggest government-owned, operated, controlled and managed data center, it claims to be the most secure and is the only Tier 4 data center launched by a state government which is Uptime certified. Spanning across 25,000 Sq. feet server farm area, the new cloud-enabled Bhamashah Data Centre is an eight floor (2B+G+5) independent infrastructure having 600 rack space capacity — a building with a common infrastructure to host compute, network, storage and applications.
- Siemon Teams with Maya HTT’s DCIM Solution Datacenter Clarity LC: Siemon broadcast that it partnered with data center infrastructure management (DCIM) solution provider, Maya HTT, whose Datacenter Clarity LC DCIM platform will provide Siemon customers with the tools to accurately and efficiently manage their data center infrastructure. Datacenter Clarity LC lets users manage their data center infrastructure with powerful tools and a real-time picture of asset attributes in 3D. In addition, Datacenter Clarity LC works seamlessly with Siemon’s WheelHouse advanced data center solutions, including cabinets, racks, cable management, copper and fiber connectivity and PowerMax PDUs. Frank Velleca, Siemon’s market manager for strategic projects, said, “As data centers continue to become more complex, it is vital to accurately track and manage data center infrastructure. Siemon’s partnership with Maya HTT, the most powerful real-time monitoring engine on the market, allows our customers to optimize equipment placement and energy consumption to create the most efficient configuration for their data center.”
- Hut 8 Invests $100 Million in Canadian Development and Data Center: Medicine Hat’s mayor, Ted Clugston, broadcast a new deal it joined with Hut 8 Mining. The city signed an agreement to support the ‘mining’ facility with 42 Megawatts of electricity and lease them 11 acres of land where the facility will be built for 10 years. Hut 8 is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has an operational facility at Drumheller, Alta that has so mined over 750 Bitcoins. The facility operates on 18.7 Megawatts of electricity. The company is expected to have allocated $100 million USD for the construction. The Medicine Hat facility will be Hut 8’s development and data Center according to the company’s CEO Sean Clark.
- Interxion Chooses John Doherty as Chief Financial Officer: Interxion Holding NV publicized that it named John Doherty as Chief Financial Officer, beginning 1st November 2018. David Ruberg, Interxion’s Chief Executive Officer, said, “I am pleased to welcome an executive of John’s caliber to the Interxion management team. John brings deep expertise in the technology and telecoms industries as well as a wealth of experience in managing and developing global and early-stage businesses from a financial and strategic perspective.” Mr. Doherty brings over 25 years of experience in key leadership roles at Verizon, most recently as Senior Vice President of Corporate Development and Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of Verizon Ventures. Mr. Doherty commented, “I am delighted to be joining Interxion at an exciting juncture in its development. The[JH1] company is firmly established as a European colocation market leader and I look forward to contributing to the continued strong growth of the business, accompanied by a clear focus on driving shareholder value.”