CAPRE’s Data Center Industry Round Up for May 6
Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center space for May 6, 2019:
- Mid-Atlantic Broadband and Microsoft to Build SOVA Innovation Hub: Mid-Atlantic Broadband Communities and Microsoft have announced a partnership to build the SOVA Innovation Hub in Southern Virginia. MBC will invest over $5 million to build the SOVA Innovation Hub, which will be located in downtown South Boston, Va., to help meet its growing need for office space. Microsoft, through its TechSpark initiative, will use the space to encourage innovation and spur economic opportunities in the region. The facility will also bring together local nonprofit organizations from throughout Southern Virginia to offer impactful programming for digital skills education and workforce training.
- CyrusOne Sells GDS Shares to Raise $200 Million USD: CyrusOne has sold approximately 5.7 million American depository shares (“ADSs”) of GDS Holdings Limited (“GDS”) for a total purchase price of approximately $200 Million USD. CyrusOne will continue to hold approximately 2.3 million ADSs, valued at approximately $90 Million USD, based on the GDS closing price on April 11, with the remaining shares being subject to a six-month lock up. The commercial agreement between CyrusOne and GDS will remain in place, and Gary Wojtaszek, CyrusOne’s President and Chief Executive Officer, remains a member of the GDS Board of Directors.
- AWS Launches Managed Blockchain Service: Amazon Web Services announced a managed blockchain service that lets you quickly create and manage a scalable blockchain network using popular open source frameworks, Hyperledger Fabric and Ethereum, which you can use to transact and securely share data. The service is designed to scale to meet the needs of thousands of applications generating millions of transactions, with simple mechanisms to invite new members, manage certificates, and track operational metrics.
- ResearchAndMarkets Releases Global Data Center Construction Market Outlook for 2019-2027: The “Data Center Construction Market to 2027 – Global Analysis and Forecasts by Types of Construction; By Tier Standards; and By Industry Verticals” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The global Data Center construction market accounted for $45.1 Billion USD in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.4% over the forecast period 2019-2027, to account for $89.9 Billion USD in 2027.
- MTA Fiber Holdings to Build First All-Terrestrial Fiber Line to Connect Alaska with Contiguous US: MTA Fiber Holdings has plans to build AlCan ONE (Alaska Canada Overland Network), the first and only all-terrestrial fiber network connecting Alaska to the contiguous United States and beyond. The new all-terrestrial network will initially have capacity of over 100 terabits per second, which can be expanded and increased in the future as demand grows. The network will establish a secure and reliable fiber connection to any point in the contiguous United States, providing MTA’s members, as well as Alaska, with a robust internet transport connection for decades to come.