CapRE’s Data Center Industry Round Up for January 9
Jan 9, 2019
by Josh Anderson
by Josh Anderson
Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center space for January 9, 2018:
- Hackers Likely Stole $1 Million in 51% Attack: The Coinbase crypto-currency exchanged has announced that hackers may have successfully pulled off the “51% attack” to steal $1.1 Million USD from users on the Ethereum Classic blockchain. Crypto-exchanges, including Coinbase and Kraken, have suspended trading and other interactions until more information arises, and industry observers expect much more. Ethereum Classic, whose market cap is about $150 Million USD, is the original Ethereum Blockchain.
- Amazon to Acquire CloudEndure: Amazon will acquire CloudEndure, a six year-old Cloud computing company out of Israel that offers disaster recovery, continuous backup, and live migration, for $250 Million USD. Amazon has been investing quite a bit into the Israeli market — in 2017, Amazon opened a pair of research and development groups in Haifa and Tel Aviv and in 2015 it acquired Annapurna Labs, another local Cloud computing firm.
- Hostway Services to Merge with Hosting.com: Austin-based Hostway Services out will merge with Hosting.com, of Denver. Though financial terms have not been disclosed, the two firms will combine into a single brand name, employing 1,000 workers and owning 14 data centers in five countries, by 2020. “This merger is a natural progression of the two companies’ focus on providing solutions for CIOs and IT leaders to reduce costs, mitigate risks and increase business agility,” said Emil Sayegh, CEO of Hostway Services, in a press release. “We will be in a unique position to help customers every step of the way as they make the journey to hybrid cloud environments while protecting them against ever-emerging threats.”
- Comport Makes Three Predictions for 2019: Comport has released a new report with three major predictions for 2019. First of all, the number of available cloud services will grow, the Hybrid Cloud will be used more regularly; and Cloud security will improve. “Companies around the world are migrating to cloud architecture at an increasing rate,” reads the official press release by Comport. “The agility, flexibility and efficiency of cloud solutions are drawing high praise for being able to connect the company to a worldwide network of applications and complementary digital architectures while providing new ways to protect data.”
- Venture Capital Funding for AI Increased by 72% in 2017: PwC and CB Insights have also released a new report on investment in Artificial intelligence, finding that venture capital companies around the world invested $9.3 Billlion USD into AI in 2018, a 72% increase over 2017. The largest venture capital investment into an AI company was a $600 Million infusion into SenseTime Group. Furthermore, on a broader front, Venture Capital funding in 2018 hit $99.5 Billion USD in the United State alone, the highest year since 2000.