CapRE’s Data Center Industry Round Up for February 6
Feb 6, 2018
by Josh Anderson
by Josh Anderson
Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center space for February 6, 2018
- AWS Hopes to Build Massive Data Center in Loudoun County: The Washington Business Journal is first reporting that Amazon Web Services has submitted a proposal for a 600,000-square-foot data center campus proposed over 44 acres in Loudoun County. The exact location, comprising three and currently vacant parcels that would need to be rezoned from their current industrial purpose, is between Tall Cedars Parkway and Pleasant Valley Road, at the north side of Route 50 just south of Dulles International Airport in Loudoun County.
- Apple Announces Second Data Center in China: Apple will build a data center in Ulanqab City in north China’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. This will be Apple’s first data center in north China and the 100% renewable energy-powered data center should be operating in 2020. This announcement comes less than a year after Apple’s announcement that they’d build their first Chinese data center in Guizhou. Ulanqab City is also the location of a large data center owned by Chinese technology giant Huawei.
- Schurz Communications Acquires Online Tech: Owners of the The South Bend Tribune Schurz Communications has acquired Michigan-based Online Tech. President and CEO Todd Schurz remarked that Online Tech operates in “an exciting and high growth area that we could build upon,” highlighting the need for communications firms to stay ahead of the rapidly changing digital media landscape. Schurz has traditionally worked on newspaper publishing, television and radio broadcasting, and cable television.
- nuPSYS Joins Coriant’s Multi-Sided Platform Partner Program: nuPSYS has joined Coriant as a partner in its Multi-Sided Platform Partner Program. nuPSYS’s nuVIZ platform provides unique and patented data center solutions with featuring simultaneous and correlated 3D-Network-IoT triple views. nuVIZ enables Virtual-Presence and significant automation resulting in substantial efficiency and cost savings for data center design and operations. The Coriant partner ecosystem enables companies to quickly and efficiently realize the benefits of best-in-class innovations across diverse segments and technologies, including managed cloud-based IoT service enablement; ‘deploy anywhere’ distributed compute capabilities; simplified deployment and management of MEC and IoT assets; cloud-based Spectrum Access System (SAS); and optimization of mobile and video service delivery.
- CISCO Predicts Major Shift in Data Center Arena: Cloud data center traffic will comprise 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, according to a new report by CISCO. They predict that cloud computing will all but replace traditional data centers within that three-year timeframe. CISCO cites streaming video, social networking, and search as the most popular cloud applications for consumers; whle business users will continue to utilize enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, and analytics services.